Unless you’ve spent the last couple months locked in your house binging on Breaking Bad, you probably know that Austin City Limits Festival is this weekend. It’s that special time of year when you and 75,000 of your closest friends can gather in Zilker Park to sway in white unison to some nostalgic rock bands, check out a couple Brooklyn bands you missed during SXSW, or eat mushrooms, get high, and drink till you dance yourself clean. And while that might not be you’re pumpkin spice latte, you can still have a radical weekend.
Just cause you want to be as far from the Great Lawn as possible doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the fun. There are still plenty of opportunities to see get wasted and see some kick ass music. So whether you hate crowds, dance to a different drum, or are just too broke to cough up the price of a wristband, we hope this list gives you you something to do.
Oh, and check out the Republic of Austin Facebook page for ticket giveaways to these events ALL WEEK!!
Ditch The Fest
Ditch the Fest, the original anti-ACL Fest party, returns again this year, and like the big fest, it’s back with two weekends. Since DTF is from 3PM – 2AM, you can sleep in before heading to the Scoot Inn to to catch this beefy local lineup. All for a mere $5!
The full line-up and band schedule can be found here.
If you like your music festivals like you like your $2 bill, then head over to Cheer Up Charlie’s on October 5th for the 3rd annual gAyCL Music Festival. Not does the event showcase local queer talent, it also features trans superstar Nomi Ruiz. Now in nu-disco/R&B band Jessica 6, Nomi burst onto the scene as lead vocalist in Hercule’s & Love Affair.
Check out the rest of the line-up:
- GIRLS FOR GIRLS A thrill-seeking, overdrive tweeking two-set. Served with or without pants. http://girlsforgirls.bandcamp.
- GENDER INFINITY A Translyvanian trio who push the boundaries of gender with each performance of soothing echo vocals mixed with a crypto-homo hard rock flavor. http://genderinfinity.
- MOM JEANS A hometown favorite. This trio of trash talking sailors will infect you with their hilarious crass lyrics about Satan, pizza and the gospel alongside raunchy guitar chords and heavy drums.
- WHIITE WALLS With a heavy hypnotic indie disco feel and powerful guitar riffs, Whiite Walls will keep you dancing and get you pregnant. Opening for such acts as Kisses (LA), and Empire of the Sun, Whiite Walls has quickly grown to become one of the best bands in Austin, TX. https://soundcloud.com/
- TWERK OFF Competition by DJ DIVORCEE Pronounced “divorce-say,” this DJ is the self-proclaimed King of Twerk. Just featured at Austin Pride 2013, Dj Divorcée is a force to be reckoned with. Watch his hot mixes run down your leg as you sweat your ass off. & MORE.
Empire Control Room’s MirACLe Pass
Want to experience top touring talent in an intimate setting AND get the VIP experience? Then you’ll definitely want to check out Empire Control Room’s MirACLe Pass. Not only does the MirACLe Pass get you into all of up-and-coming music venue Empire’s shows for the next two weeks, but you’ll also get VIP access, Meet & Greets with the artists, Swag Bags, and more. The pass is $50, but looking at the line-up, below, that’s about $6 a show. The complimentary drinks will pay for that!
- OCTOBER 2 – Déjenme Llorar starring Carla Morrison – 7PM Doors – All Ages – $15/18
- OCTOBER 3 – Psych Soul Space Soirée starring AM & Shawn Lee – 8PM – 21+ – $10/12
- OCTOBER 4 – Phridaze feat. Quantic – 10PM Doors – 21+ (free before Midnight, $5 after)
- OCTOBER 5 – Robert Glasper Experiment – 9PM – 21+ – $15/20
- OCTOBER 6 – Voodoo BBQ starring Big Sam’s Funky Nation – 9PM – 21+ – $10
- OCTOBER 8 – Jess & The Echoes w/ Jessica Childress – 9PM – 21+ – $5
- OCTOBER 11 – Around the World starring Cut Chemist – 9PM Doors – 21+ – $15/$30VIP
- OCTOBER 12 – Pure Opulence starring Pure X – 10PM – 21+ – $10
- OCTOBER 12 – Neon Gold PopshopATX feat. Kaleidoscope Space Tribe, Smallpools, Dan Croll, GROUPLOVE (DJ), Captain Cuts -10PM – 21+ – $10/$5 w/ ACL wristband
- Access to all Soundcheck Sessions:
- Admission approximately one hour prior to doors and an opportunity to “meet and greet” performing artists for poster signing, photo op, and an exclusive pre-show performance
- complimentary beverages while supplies last
- One poster from each show (and the opportunity to have it signed)
- Free SWAG
- Line cutting + VIP Section access
- Discounted merch